Careers in Medicine
Helping you into healthcare
Who is this programme for?
For students who want to explore the different career options in Medicine. Learn about the huge variety of medical careers from nursing and neuroscience to psychology and physiotherapy. You will gain an understanding of university applications as well as the requirements needed for UKCAT and BMAT the medical school entrance exams.
Through workshops, visits, talks, mock interviews, role plays, and exam preparation classes you will learn what a strong application looks like. You will develop your personal action plan so that you
can use this course as your springboard to a lifetime of inspiring health
What will you achieve?
- develop communication, problem solving and teamwork skills by addressing a real-world challenge as part of the Science Crest Award
- gain an understanding of the different careers in Medicine from Doctor and Dentist to Vet and Optometrist
- develop practical skills and knowledge in the subjects of biology, chemistry and physics through lessons in English
- understand the requirements needed for UKCAT and BMAT medical school entrance exams through exam coaching and practice
- have a better understanding of what is required to create a competitive application to medical school.
|Language level requirements
||IELTS 5.0 or equivalent
|Maximum class size
Get a head start on your pathway to medicine and your university application through interactive workshops, insightful lectures on career choices and a curriculum of medical-related lessons during the two week course.
- Careers in medicine: learn about the huge variety of medical careers from nursing and neuroscience to psychology and physiotherapy
- Careers in medicine: learn about the variety of careers in medicine with a lecture from a medical professional such as a doctor or vet
- Solving a real-word problem through a Science Crest Award activity
- How to think critically
- English for medicine: develop your medical vocabulary, grammar and practice your reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Solving problems: design and build an insulated box to protect vaccines where there is no refrigeration
- Biology: learn the secrets of genetics by exploring DNA
- Physics: the Eye in focus - structure, lenses and light
- Chemistry: an introduction to polymer synthesis
- Biology: diseases - an introduction to microbiology and immunology
- Physics: materials and their properties
- Chemistry: measuring reaction rates
- 'It shouldn't happen to a vet' film critique
- A tour of historical Canterbury with time for shopping
- 'The doctor' film critique
- A visit to Kent and Medway Medical School plus a lecture with a guest speaker
- Gain your emergency first aid level 3 qualification
*Timetables are subject to change. We reserve the right to change these schedules with out prior notice.