Five tips for writing a great personal statement
30 April 2018
When you apply to study a business-related degree at university, you will be asked to write a personal statement. This is your chance to describe your ambitions and convince universities of your suitability for the world of business. In just 500 words, you need to convey who you are, what your background is, and why you’ve chosen your specific degree course. Here are five ways to use your CATS experience to help you create the perfect personal statement for business school.
1. Why did you choose your subject? Business is a broad subject which can open doors to a range of traditional careers such as accounting, finance and banking as well as new jobs in social media, game design and data analytics. Admissions teams will want to know what attracted you to your chosen subject, for instance, if you have volunteered with a charity, this might have inspired an ambition to work with a non-profit organisation.
2. What have you learned in school or college? Explain how you have maximised your experience at school or college to prepare you for study at undergraduate level. For instance, participation in the Young Enterprise Business Challenge, as part of the CATS College London Business Enrichment Programme, will teach you all about starting a business and pitching a business plan to a budget.
3. What have you learned outside school or college? Mention any achievement or experience gained outside school or college which demonstrates your project management, communication or self-motivation skills. We’ll make sure your university application has the CATS advantage by involving you in tutor-led activities from maths challenges and debate clubs to essay competitions.
4. How will you enrich your university? Make yourself stand out by explaining what you can bring to the classroom or community. Maybe you’ll demonstrate your teamwork skills as part of a team sports club, or tap into your leadership potential by organising a fundraising event. Explain how you will enhance the student experience on campus, and continue to make a positive impact in the future.
5. Check and double-check: At CATS your Higher Education adviser and personal tutor will guide you through each step of your university application journey. This includes helping you proofread your personal statement for errors, and making sure that it showcases your skills and ambition.
CATS College understands that universities want to attract students who are passionate about, and excel in, their chosen subject. To help students with a special interest in business reach their full potential, gain insight into studying at university and experience the world of business, CATS College London has introduced a Business Enrichment Programme of activities, support and guidance.
<< View all blog articles